Does God really love me?
Sometimes it's hard to believe that he could! And sometimes in life it's equally hard to believe what God is actually doing in my life. We've been the world's punching bag for so long, it just seems like there's no way to get on the winning side of things. Can God really do the unbelievable things for us that he claims?
There's a great answer to that question in Joshua 3. The Israelites had just spent 40 years wandering in the wilderness. It seemed as if they would never enjoy that amazing victory of living in the Promised Land - the land flowing with milk and honey - that God had pledged would one day be their possession.
But in Joshua 3:5 Joshua tells the people that the long-awaited day has finally arrived: "Consecrate yourselves, for tomorrow the LORD will do amazing things among you."
Whatever's going on in your life, no matter how long it's been going on, know that God has done amazing things among us too. And there is victory in store for you.
So consecrate yourself. That is to say, "Set your heart aside for God. Trust him. Trust his promises of goodness and love. God is there for you. His power is available. His forgiveness is real. His words are true."
- "But God demonstrated his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8, NIV)
- "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5, NIV)
- "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19, NIV)
- "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." (2 Corinthians 12:9, NIV)
- "Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you will honor me." (Psalm 50:15, NIV)
Amazing? No doubt! Unbelievable? Yes, to any of us without the Holy Spirit calling us and convincing our hearts.
But real? Oh, very real. Just as real as Jesus' death on the cross. Just as real as his resurrection from death three days later.
And that's real!